Sunday, February 23, 2014

MIRACLE

This movie was able to give me a feeling that most movies aren't able to accomplish.  It is easy to make people feel sad, or happy, but a harder emotion to reach is inspiration.  And this movie inspired me to be great.  I can honestly say that there was not a single thing that I didn't like about this movie.  I loved every second.  Except maybe when that nice young man with the mustache was cut at the last minute, that broke my heart.  But the whole story line was perfect.  I told my father that he has to watch the movie.  And I am considering watching it before I have any big matches.  Because it really shows that no matter where you started, or who you are, on any given day, you can be the best.

If I had to explain this event, I would describe it as the following.  A group of talented, but not united young men who were thrown into the ice, expected to fail against the best hockey teams in the world.  But with the incredibly strategic coaching, and the hard work of the players, they were able to do the impossible.  They took down the Soviet Union, the team that was thought to be untouchable.  This triumph was not only for hockey, it was for the country.  During this time, it was the height of the Cold War.  The war of worries between the United States and the Soviet Union.  Relations were horrible and the whole country had an awakening when these young men were able to defeat the commies.  It meant so much more than a puck making it's way to a net.

During my lifetime, one event that comes to mind similar to this "miracle on ice" was when the seal team was able to take down Osama Bin Laden.  He had been a common enemy of this country for years, and he was thought to be untouchable.  However, with a small group of well trained and determined soldiers, he is no longer alive.  When word came of his death, I think the whole country took a simultaneous sigh of relief and were united if only for a few moments.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you about emotion. This movie gave me goosebumps and I did get teary-eyed at the end of the movie. It gave me the feeling that anything can be accomplished as a team and reminded me of huge victories on the soccer field over the past four years at OHS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this movie was not just a great movie that made me happy but really was inspiring. After watching that movie, I felt like I could do anything I put my mind too. I agree watching this movie before a big game or match would be really fun and inspiring to a whole team.

    ReplyDelete