Monday, February 10, 2014

TOMBSTONE

From my point of view, this movie had numerous pros and cons.  My favorite aspect of the movie was the characters and character development.  The movie did an excellent job of creating likable characters that you became invested in.  And on the contrary, they did equally well creating characters that were very easy to dislike.  This allowed us to have an ongoing competition where we desired the good guys to succeed and the bad guys to fail.  This may seem odd, but my favorite character was Doc Holiday.  Because despite of his many issues, both internally and externally, he was a fighter willing to push to his last breath, especially for his friends.  Not to mention his skill and quickness with weaponry.  However, I was not a huge fan of the overall plot.  The setting and the actions couldn't really hold my interest because I did not feel like I could relate.  Things that happened in the movie are not things that I deal with in my day to day life.  Although the gun fights were interesting, they were not personally appealing.  One of the biggest themes in the book to me was that you can't fight your destiny.  Wyatt Earp tried his best to run away from the law and settle down with his family.  But his true calling was being in charge and nothing could keep him from that fate.  Also, Wyatt tried his best to stay faithful to his wife, but he couldn't help but fall for his true love.  I would recommend this movie because many people find great interest in this time period and the movie was excellently executed.

A person or event is considered legendary when it becomes and common household name.  When the majority of people in the area have heard and know references to this certain thing then it should be considered legendary.  Also when someone or something sets a precedent for the future, it is legendary as well.  The one character who is definitely a legend is Wyatt.  He traveled to a remote village in Arizona, in a time when communication was limited, and almost all of the people still knew of, and admired his actions as sheriff in Kansas.  Now that, is the definition of a legend.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with you because I thought that the characters were very likable and it was easy to watch because it was a great cast of actors. Also, your take on a legendary event made me think. When something becomes legendary, it is known commonly like a house-hold name. Very interesting to think about!

    ReplyDelete