Wednesday, March 19, 2014

THE GODFATHER

I feel like this movie had such an infamous reputation, that when I finally saw it, it was nothing like I had expected.  I have no reason in particular why I was expecting the movie to be a certain way, but it did not live up to my expectations.  To say the least, I was not a fan.  However, I liked the character of Michael, he seemed real.  Someone that people could relate to.  Trying to escape his families legacy but getting caught up in it all.  The movie in all didn't give me much emotion other than annoyance.  Although I must say it was interesting seeing a movie from the "bad guys" point of view.  And how they still greatly valued family and did what they needed to put food in their mouths.

Vito Corleone is portrayed as a God-like figure.  Basically nothing could get done in the community without the assistance, or approval from the "Godfather."  Even though we all knew he was conducting very bad things, while we were watching they didn't seem quite so bad.  You started to feel for him, and thought "maybe he is doing right."  When he did, I didn't feel a sense of happiness or sadness.  I was indifferent.  I also don't think the world was able to escape anything, because Vito was replaced in full by his son Michael.

This movie is extremely different from my previous perception of organized crime.  From this families point of view, it was the only way to live.  And their peers held them in the highest respect.  Unlike how we imagine where they are not liked by anyone, just feared by everyone.  I am not going to say that this movie is not a classic, because to say many people, it is.  I think its classic feeling is solely because of the different perspective it is given.  Plus you have a couple of characters who don't take any mess and get what they need to get done....at any costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment